Nexus Care Services celebrates its second consecutive shortlisting at the 2024 HealthInvestor Awards
21 February 2024Read more
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, you may be concerned for your future.
At Nexus Care Services, we can help support you through your illness, ensuring your care plan will be centred around your unique needs.
Diabetes affects your body’s ability to produce or use insulin effectively. Insulin is a hormone that plays a vital role in regulating blood sugar levels.
When you have diabetes, your body either doesn’t produce enough insulin or doesn’t use it properly, causing high blood sugar levels.
If left uncontrolled, high blood sugar can lead to severe health complications, including heart disease, stroke, kidney damage, and vision problems.
You may also develop hypoglycaemia which is a low level of glucose in your blood. Hypoglycaemia can lead to symptoms such as dizziness, confusion and weakness.
Types of Diabetes
There are two main types of diabetes that you should be aware of:
· Type 1 Diabetes: This is an autoimmune condition where your immune system attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in your pancreas. As a result, your body produces little to no insulin. Type 1 diabetes typically develops during childhood or adolescence, but it can also occur in adults.
· Type 2 Diabetes: In this type, your body becomes resistant to insulin or doesn’t produce enough insulin to maintain normal blood sugar levels. Type 2 diabetes is more common than type 1 and is often linked to lifestyle factors such as obesity, lack of physical activity, and diet.
Symptoms of Diabetes
Symptoms can include:
· Increased thirst and frequent urination
· Extreme fatigue
· Blurred vision
· Slow-healing wounds or frequent infections
· Unexplained weight loss (especially in type 1 diabetes)
Living with diabetes can be challenging, but with the right support, you can lead a healthy and active life.
With a care plan, we can help you manage your medication and monitor the progression of your illness.
Our care plans are tailored to your needs, we’ll ensure you have a say in your care while also working alongside other healthcare professionals.
With the right support and a proactive approach to treatment, you can successfully manage diabetes and maintain a high quality of life.
At Nexus Care Services, we provide tailored care plans to support your individual needs. If you or a loved one needs support, contact us today at 0121 308 2906.